Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Sploder Shooter Games

Robot game is cumbersome. This one has the opposite problem from the platformer. No health bar for the enemies, so no way of knowing how powerful they are, other than finding out by experience. Basic game controls and play mechanics are fine.

Spaceship game is much more fluid in terms of motion. Reminds me of the diep.io game in terms of action and mechanics. The concept of acquiring keys from enemies to get through certain walls is a nice mechanic, and I like the puzzle aspect that makes it so that one key doesn't get through the entire wall. However, the teleport mechanic renders the wall irrelevant, and so killing those enemies seems to be a waste of time and effort.

I could see myself creating a game similar to the spaceship game that could be made relevant to science content. I am picturing something involving latching on to atoms or electrons to form molecules. The configurations could be part of the puzzle needed to get through the walls, and the trick would be to find the correct configuration. I could also see a similar mechanic in a biology game for things like DNA or ions transport across cell membranes. I'm not sure how well this would work for teaching new content, but it could be used as an introductory exercise, or for practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment